Monday, March 31, 2008

Pretty.Odd. && This Providence

So I thought I'd take some time out of my day, which should be spent making review guides for the needy in my History class, to make some comments on a couple of albums I recently gained access to/purchased within the past month. The two main albums I wanted to comment on were Pretty.Odd. (Panic at the Disco's sophomore release) and the eponymous This Providence (also a sophomore release, but a much much older one).

I think I'll start with Pretty.Odd. Now, I am far from a Panic fan. I actually quite despise them. Their underage drinking, insulting/vulgar/profane lyricism, and the air of arrogance in their carriage leave a foul scent in my mouth. Due to my passionate dislike for them, I was very afraid when I found myself enjoying "Nine in the Afternoon". I pretty much assumed the world was ending since such an awful, unworthy band was pulling out tracks with stamina and significance. As the days passed, strong feelings of joy consumed me with the increased plays of "Nine in the Afternoon" and gratuitous mentions of the release of Pretty.Odd. I admit that I was very much looking forward to the release of this album, despite my former predilections. However, when the album was released, I discovered many conflicting reviews. Diehard fans were, of course, calling it pure genius and revelry. Former fans moaned about how Panic had just eaten the pages of Beatles sheet music and regurgitated it back in a much more inferior, disappointing manifestation in the form of Pretty.Odd. These opposing reviews caused me to hesitate in buying it, so instead, I took a burned copy from a friend. The amusing, sarcastic opening track "We're So Starving" is a fun, toe-tapping beginning to Pretty.Odd. The song is catchy and leaves its listeners with the impression of an exciting album full of unique material ahead of them. Listeners expectations are fully met with the infectious, popular follow-up "Nine in the Afternoon". By now, fans know all of the words to this happy, Sgt. Pepper's-esque ditty. These two tracks make for an incredibly strong introduction to the eccentric world of Panic's Pretty.Odd. The next two tracks are a bit bland and detract from the giddiness of the opening tracks. "She's A Handsome Woman" is a rather forgettable track (I can't remember how it sounds at all right now) and "Do You Know What I'm Seeing?" is just a little bit too something for me. I know that's a terrible description, but there's something in the way of making that track particularly enjoyable for me. Perhaps it's the constant "don't give a damn about the weather/the weather doesn't give a damn about me" line that Brendon sings just makes me feel weary. But then, Panic makes an unbelievable comeback with an outstanding next five tracks. These next five tracks are spectacular and, in my opinion, are the most enjoyable portion of this album. "That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)" is a brilliant track. This is the track from which the title Pretty.Odd. comes from. It's upbeat and fun and beautifully melodic. The following track, "I Have Friends in Holy Spaces" is entertaining and makes for a great segway into the three best tracks on this album: Northern Downpour, When the Day Met the Night, and Pas De Cheval. Northern Downpour and When the Day Met the Night are tied for my favorite track off of Pretty.Odd. Northern Downpour is a slower, calmer, very Pretty and less Odd track that I believe is worth a million listens. When the Day Met the Night is very Sgt. Pepper, very up tempo, very catchy, very addicting. These two tracks are entirely flawless in my opinion. And my last favorite, Pas De Chaval, is equally as astounding at the two tracks preceding it. For me, after this track, this is where I stop the CD and rewind to "We're So Starving", or I move on to listen to something else. I believe that the rest of the CD tumbles down into meaningless, repetitive drivel that isn't worth lending your ear for. The lyrics take a dive for the atheistic and drug-infested. The instruments spiral into what seems to be a never-ending drone of vaudevillian headache-inducing noise. And the switching around of vocals is odd and almost too Beatles-esque in the sense that it "loses the feeling of feeling unique/you know what I mean?"

In general, I would recommend those seven or so tracks, but the rest I would toss out the window. I wouldn't buy it if I were you, but I would spend money on those certain tracks.

I'm a little tired, but I shall now construct a review of This Providence. I personally love this band, so I'm a little biased. But I'll try to be as honest and impartial as I can. What I really like about This Providence is Dan's (singer/lyricist) honesty in his lyrics. He is inspirational and angsty, faithful and doubtful, loving and spiteful. His emotions are so raw and vivid through his lyrics and music that listeners can easily find themselves relating to him. It's a beautiful thing. The opening song is "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing". It's a powerful way to start the album. The intro to the song starts out soft with Dan singing a few bars, and then it picks up momentum when the guitars and drums and fellow instruments join in. The song transforms into a magnificent track with unique, complex patches of musicianship and lyricism. It's not a simple song--it's brilliant and meaningful and complicated, which is what I think Dan wants to communicate to his listeners since I hear it with such great clarity. This pattern of complexity in lyrics and instruments continues on with "Cardhouse Dreamer" and "Secret Love and the Fastest Way to Loneliness". The next track, which I believe is This Providence's greatest track, "My Beautiful Rescue" grabs listeners from deep within the depths of their souls. The song basically starts off with Dan singing in a soft, controlled, beautiful tone and he is accompanied by acoustic guitar strumming. Dan sings with great clarity--listeners understand and feel every word from the very first line "I've been dancing on the tops of buildings/for the thrill of the fall..." It's instant love. The drums kick in and the chorus pierces "I'm falling more in love/with every single word I withhold..." The mood of the song is moving and saving and graceful just within the first thirty seconds or so. The song progresses into a nice bridge and a couple repetitions of the very memorable, catchy chorus. What I think I love the most about this track is the way it ends. I might be the only person in the world who feels this way, but the way he sings "I've been dancing at the tops of buildings/with you" just amazes me. After that end, I feel the need to put "My Beautiful Rescue" on loop for about 4 hours. I can taste the passion in his voice throughout the whole song, but in that very last line, his passion is overwhelming--I am drenched in a boundless love not only for the song and the band, but for music and the peace it brings and the healing it gives.

There are more songs to this album; however, it's kind of late and I need to do work. I will continue this review later. Besides, I might have spent the rest of this "album" review talking about how perfect ONE song on the whole album is. :)

Peace out invisible readers.

No comments: