Friday, January 11, 2008

My Favorites from 2007

I know it seems as if I already did this, but I didn't. I assure you, I didn't. I want to say what my favorite albums, movies, and soundtracks were of the year 2007. In my opinion, 2007 was one of the best years for music and movies, despite the strike and all sorts of other awful things that were plastered on the front cover of OK! Magazine.

Favorite Albums of 2007

Even if it Kills Me by Motion City Soundtrack
I personally love this album. First of all, the album cover, in my opinion, is totally cool. It's pretty colors and very artistic. I love this band and all of their previous work, but I think this album shines just a bit brighter than what they produced in the past. Not that their older albums are inferior in any way; Commit This to Memory and I Am Movie are amazing. I'm probably in the minority with my opinion of this album, but I happen to find this album just a tad more satisfying than the others. I love almost every song. Motion City Soundtrack has an incredible knack for creating catchy hooks and choruses in their music, and they don't fail to accomplish this at all with this album. Broken Heart, Where I Belong, Last Night, and Calling All Cops are the particularly addicting songs. My personal favorite is The Conversation. It's a slower song with a nice piano melody. It's all in all a great song--for me, the stand-out track on this album.

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace by the Foo Fighters
This album is incredible. Just when you thought the Foo Fighters could not possibly reach a higher level of "awesome" than In Your Honor or The Colour and the Shape, they did. Echoes is full of tracks with exploding guitars, Dave Grohl's powerful vocals, and insanely sweet music. The Pretender is the popular, well-known single--it's great. Things seem a little weird with the instrumental only "The Ballad of Beaconsfield", but even that track is great to listen to. Cheer Up Boys, Long Road to Ruin, But Honestly, and Come Alive are also great tracks. In my opinion, the most amazing track on this album is Home. It's a beautiful song--it's an emotional ballad accompanied with a great piano. It's the slowest, softest song, but it definitely has the most to say and defines what Echoes and the Foo Fighters are all about: impeccable music.

Chase This Light by Jimmy Eat World
Jimmy Eat World has got to be one of my favorite bands ever. They're almost my #1, which is a tied race between This Day & Age and The Beatles. Is that weird? Yeah, it kind of is. Well, anyway, Chase This Light is outstanding. Of course, one would think that it's impossible for JEW to top Clarity or Bleed American, and I don't know if I can say that this album is better. But I would dare to say that this album is reallllly close to matching the musical perfection and genius of Bleed American. Each song is infectiously catchy and crafted perfectly to that unique Jimmy Eat World style. Their singles Big Casino and Here It Goes are spectacular tracks, as are Always Be, Let it Happen, Chase This Light, and Carry You. Basically, every track is spectacular (however, I am not as fond of Feeling Lucky as the others. Feeling Lucky is still a great song, it's just not one of my favorites on the album). For me, the best track is Dizzy. I absolutely love Dizzy. It's one of the greatest songs of 2007, fo sho. Everything about Dizzy is perfection. That's all I can say.

In Rainbows by Radiohead
Radiohead is way too cool. I shall give you my reasons. 1) Their whole "online download choose your own price" thing just amazed me. They got like...a huge stick and hit The Man with it right in the solarplexis. They're brilliant. Unfortunately, I'm cheap so I bought In Rainbows for the whopping total of $0.00 . But I absolutely could not wait until January 1st for the wide release. 2) In Rainbows is one of the best albums of 2007. It's captivating, all of it. Each track is so interesting and unique--Radiohead just changed music as we know it with this album. I don't exactly know what it is that they used and did to make their music sound so cool, but it really worked. Tracks like 15 Step, Bodysnatchers, House of Cards, and All I Need are impeccable. My personal favorite is Reckoner. That song is just so cool, I can't really say much more about it. The only track I don't really like is Videotape, but that's just me. Perhaps I'm the only one. I just think it's a little repetitive and less interesting than the other tracks. But that's definitely not bad enough to ruin the wonder of this album.

Alchemy Index Vol. 1 &2 by Thrice
Ok, let me start off by saying that there is really not a whole lot you can do musically that is as cool as making an album with songs inspired by elements. If I heard that any ol' band was taking on this endeavor, I might have been very very scared. For example, if the All American Rejects or Chris Brown announced that they were about to make an album inspired by elements, I would have been frightened. Very frightened. Not that anything is wrong with those artists, but...I can only think of that as being a nightmare. However, everything was alright because THRICE was going to take the challenge. Thrice is a great band. Their track record is worthy of 5 million gold stars: The Artist in the Ambulance and Vheissu. Way cool. Only like, some of the best albums ever created. And now, they have a new epic of excellence to add to that list: Alchemy Index Vol. 1&2. The fire portion of the album contains tracks with intense vocals, heavy guitars, and way more volume (noise-wise). From the fire portion, I particularly like Firebreather. Very cool song. The water portion is my "favorite" or "stand-out" of the two elements. The musical experience that Thrice gives us through the water volume is like an out-of-body experience. Their music sweeps you up off your feet and sends you out of this world. Digital Sea, Lost Continent, and the Whaler are amazing tracks. The best track on the whole Alchemy Index Vol. 1&2 album is definitely Open Water. The lyrics, the melodies, the effects, the everything about this song is perfect. This song--ugh--I love this song too much.

Do You Feel by the Rocket Summer
Ah! I love the Rocket Summer! Every album before Do You Feel is an instant classic in my library. Hello, Good Friend and Calendar Days are two of my favorite albums of all time. Both contain catchy, meaningful, beautiful songs. I love the emotion that Bryce Avary incorporates into his music--his lyrics are so honest and real. But it gets better with Do You Feel. Do You Feel definitely trumps all of the Rocket Summer's past work. Each track is perfect. I love allllll the songs on it. All of it. In fact, it's absolutely impossible to pick one song as my "personal favorite" or "stand-out track" because all of them are perfect. Yup, that's all I can say. This album is just so good. It's been on repeat on my ipod since I got it. If you own this, you know exactly what I mean.

Reign of Kindo EP by The Reign of Kindo
This Day & Age is one of my favorite bands of all time. I was torn when I heard that they had broken up. I was rather reluctant to hear their new project since it was missing the lead singer, who's voice was one of the best things about TD&A. I didn't think The Reign of Kindo would be nearly as impressive. Luckily, I was extremely wrong. As soon as I heard Needle and Thread, I was sold. I knew that this band was good. Really really good. This is only an EP, but I know that their full length album will be amazing. Every song on the EP is great. I happen to love this singer's voice just as much as the TD&A lead singer's voice. The best track, in my opinion, on the EP is Just Wait. The melody is great. The vocals are great. Everything is great. Definitely worth more than the pathetic $5.94 it's worth on iTunes.

Cities by Anberlin
I'm a newbie to the realm of Anberlin. I hadn't been a big fan in the past, but after I recently obtained Cities, I realize how silly I was for not liking them. Cities is...ah, it's splendid. Almost every track is constantly playing on my iPod in the morning ride to school. Hello Alone, Adelaide, Dismantle.Repair., and There's No Mathematics in Love and Loss are great tracks. The only tracks I don't really like or listen to are Debut and *(Fin). Debut is just a series of interesting noises, which is cool, but I love their lyrics and the voice of their singer, so I much prefer the more musical tracks. *(Fin) is on the creepy/weird side for me. The lyrics are haunting and unnerving, in my opinion. It grew on me, but it's still kind of weird for me to listen to. I much prefer listening to, my favorite track on the album and one of the best songs of 2007, The Unwinding Cable Car. The lyrics to this song are so beautiful. The melody, pace, and vocals of this song are perfect. I'm running out of words to describe these albums. This song is so perfect. I listen to it at least once everyday. It inspires me beyond what I can describe. Thank you, Anberlin.

I think I only have time for my favorites. Next time I will talk about the other good albums of the year. The albums that didn't quite make it on this list, but still are pretty good I will mention later. So long for now!


No comments: